Do you spend a good portion of your day standing or walking on hard surfaces?
If so, you might benefit from custom orthotics.
Or, if you agree with any of the statements below, book in for an assessment with Lydia to determine whether custom-made orthotics can help you.
- My feet are sore on a regular basis
- I play sport regularly (tennis, golf, basketball, soccer, step/aerobic classes, etc.).
- Standing, walking or running gives me joint pain (ankles, knees, hips or back).
- I am over 40 years old.
- I have visible foot problems (bunions, fallen arches, corns, etc.).
- One of my legs is shorter than the other.
- I have knock-knees or bow-legs.
- My shoes wear out quickly or unevenly.
- My feet “toe-out” when I walk.
- My parents had foot-related symptoms.
- I have leg/knee pain.
- I have hip or back pain.
- I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, heel pain or metatarsalgia.
- Bring a bag of the shoes that you wear most commonly, that you would like the custom orthotics to fit into.
- Determine whether your third party insurer covers custom orthotics dispensed and prescribed by a physiotherapist. Eg. Manulife only covers custom orthotics prescribed and dispensed by a podiatrist, chiropodist or orthotist.
- Determine from your third party insurer how much they cover for a pair of custom orthotics, so that you know if you will be ‘out of pocket’ for any monies. Be aware that all third party contracts with the employer vary, in that they might cover one pair per lifetime, one pair every two years or annually.
- Find out from the insurer what method of casting they will pay for egs. non-weight bearing foam mold, GAITSCAN computerized technology or plaster of paris mold.
- Get a prescription from your family physician stating that you need custom orthotics for what symptoms and for what diagnosis.